Men’s Results & News – Feb 1st
Pro Am Qualifier – 14h S’ford (Sat & Sun Jan 31 & Feb 1)
1st – Val Molloy (18) – 32 pts (last 9)*
2nd – James O’Brien (19) – 32 pts (last 6)*
*Only 2 places were available for this week’s competition there was a reduced field due to frost this morning
Sun 8th – Winter League Round 4 – 14h S’ford (same timesheet as previous rounds applies for prepaid entrants, the timesheet for non-prepaid entrants went live tonight at 9pm)
Sat 14th & Sun 15th – Open Fourball (Timesheet now live)
Sun 22nd – Winter League Round 5 – (same timesheet as previous rounds applies for prepaid entrants, the timesheet will go live for non-prepaid entrants on Sun 15th at 9pm).
Table Quiz – Thank you
Thank you to the large numbers who turned out for the table quiz in the clubhouse last week, and especially those from outside the club who made the effort on a very wintry night. Those in attendance were treated to a challenging set of questions, delivered in fine style by quizmaster Kevin Reidy. Over €700 was raised for the junior section – a very worthy cause and well done to all who were involved in organising the event.
Paying your subscription early – Prize Draw – First Cut-off date this Friday
Don’t forget that those who pay their subscriptions early (either by Friday Feb 6th or Friday Feb 27th) will be entered into a prize draw/s to win some great prizes, including 50% off your subscription for 2016, a series of golf lessons and spending money in the bar. Paying your subscription early helps the club during the quiet winter period – why not pay early, help the club and hopefully help yourself to a great prize!
Pace of Play
One of the items that came out of the Competitions Survey was that ‘Pace of Play’ was a matter of concern for a good number of members. The Men’s Committee will be looking closely at ‘Pace of Play’ during competitions this year and looking at ways in which to make a positive impact. Here are a number of pointers to improve the pace of play:
– Check-in at least 10 minutes prior to your tee time.
– Be on the tee 5 minutes prior to your tee time.
– Every player is responsible for the speed of play of their group.
– Always endeavour to keep up with the group in front of you.
– Move quickly between shots and be ready to play when it is your turn.
– If you are behind, abandon the “Honour” system and the furthest from the hole hits first rule and adopt the procedure where, if it can be done safely, the person who is ready hits, even if he is further up the fairway, providing it is safe to do so.
– On the tee, shorter hitters hit first. Longer hitters hit last.
– Play a provisional ball if there is some doubt to where your ball finished.
– Leave buggies on the side of the green nearest the access to the next tee.
– Line up your putt and get set to putt while other players are putting without breach of etiquette.
– Putt out whenever possible
– If you “have the honour” on the next tee, hit first and then mark your scorecard.
– Mark your scorecard on the next tee while others are teeing off.
– In other than Stroke competitions, pick up your ball when you cannot score.
– If you lose a ball and or fall behind, play your next few shots as soon as it is safe to do so.
Find the Joker – Jackpot €800
Congratulations to John & Cait Kehoe who were the very popular winners of the Find the Joker jackpot of €6,193 last week. The Joker was in envelope no. 47. A new draw starts this weekend and the jackpot is €800. The next draw will take place on Sunday Feb 15th at 5pm. Entries cost €2 and are taken in the bar. Draw winners receive €30 if they do not Find the Joker. Thank you to all who support this fundraiser.